Surfrider DC is made possible by our incredible volunteers. Are you interested in becoming a dedicated volunteer? We are looking for people to fill the roles that follow.
- The Chair ensures that the mission of the organization is being fulfilled.
- The Chair acts as the link between the chapter and Surfrider Foundation Headquarters
- Transmits and distributes all communications from the national office to the chapter executive committee members.
- Chairs monthly chapter meetings and executive meetings, and creates agendas
- Check chapter email account and distribute emails appropriately.
- Be a signer on the chapter bank account
- Be the lead spokesperson for the chapter.
- Field media calls or delegate them out. The Chair is the lead spokesperson
- Calls for votes among the chapter’s Executive Committee
- Contribute to the chapter’s website and social media pages as needed
- Leads annual, strategic, and operations planning for the chapter
- Makes sure the chapter is in compliance with all governance procedures
- One of the most important jobs in the chapter because there are typically hundreds of members in every chapter being led by a few
- Coordinates with committees (campaign or events) and/or campaign and program leaders to identify volunteer needs
- Leads volunteer recruitment by communicating those needs to the membership and posting volunteer opportunities elsewhere as appropriate
- Build and manage a database or list of volunteers and potential volunteers
- Gets to know volunteers, their interests and match them to opportunities
- Responds to inquiries from people seeking to volunteer
- Contributes to the chapter’s website and social media pages
- Possibly -communicates to the chapter membership via mass emails
- Organize events for volunteers to meetup and get to know each other better
- Uses the Volunteercoordinator@email address for chapter related emails
- The Secretary is responsible for the Chapter’s records (minutes) and correspondence.
- The Secretary keeps an accurate record of the meetings and topics of discussion of the Chapter and of the Executive Committee; and transmits the same to the successor in Office.
- The Secretary is responsible for sending monthly reports to Surfrider Foundation National Headquarters and is also a primary contact to National Headquarters.
- The Secretary is responsible for sending out monthly/bimonthly emails to the Chapter’s members
- The Secretary maintains and writes blogs for the Chapter’s website
Fundraising Committee Chair
- Helps organize chapter fundraisers
- Holds committee meeting and makes agendas
- Reports to Executive Committee regularly
- Mentors and develop new chapter leaders
DC Surfrider is continuously seeking members for our Volunteer Committee and Cleanup Committee! Committees serve as a great training grounds for those interested in joining the Executive Committee.
• Brainstorming fun, unique and engaging events for our volunteers
• Helping plan and coordinate events for our volunteers
• Assisting in volunteer recruitment event
• And more!
• Brainstorming new areas around DC to organize cleanups
• Helping plan and coordinate cleanup events
• And more!
• Brainstorming new restaurants around DC to recruit
• Helping plan and coordinate OFR recruitment events
• Recruiting OFRs
• And more!