We need you to help make our chapter and events successful! Below are our current volunteer opportunities and the points of contact. These opportunities are available to all — members and non-members. Is what you’re looking for not here? Come to one of our monthly meetings and share what YOU’D like to do!
Mid-Atlantic Survey: Coast/Beach-goers needed
Do you enjoy the mid-atlantic coast? If yes, then spend 10 minutes filling out this survey to help protect your coast from offshore oil interests: http://www.surfrider.org/mid-atlantic-recreation
Operation Reuse: donations of t-shirts, salvageable trash needed
The chapter is embarking on a journey to educate others about the impacts of trash by upcycling plastic trash and old t-shirts into useful items. These items will be used for talking points, sold by the chapter, and (in the case of t-shirts) used to create reusable shopping bags. Contact the Vice Chair for more details: email@example.com.
Chapter Executive Committee: Accepting nominations for chapter chair
Interested in becoming more involved in the DC chapter’s leadership. In addition to the universal responsibilities of being an executive committee member, here’s some more details on the position:
Chair - Must be a Surfrider Foundation Member, 2 to 20 hours a week, 2-year commitment, one chapter meeting per month and or Executive Committee meeting per month
- Acts as the main administrator & leader of the chapter
- Acts as main contact to SFHQ
- Transmits all communications from the national office to the chapter
- Runs monthly chapter meetings
- Makes meeting agendas
- Makes calls/contacts before the meetings to ensure those with updates either attend or provide their update
- Checks chapter email account and distribute emails appropriately.
- Checks Chapter PO Box if applicable and distribute US Mail appropriately.
- Is a signer on the Chapter Bank Account
- Is a spokesperson for the chapter. Field media calls or delegate them out
- Calls for votes among the chapter’s Executive Committee
- Contributes to the chapter’s website and social media pages
- Uses the chair email address for chapter related emails
- Collect Action Index Numbers once a month and input numbers through Chapternet
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to nominate someone, you can also self-nominate if you just know you are the perfect one for the position.