Our team was hoping to conduct this meeting outside and in person, but the weather had other plans. We are are looking to begin hosting chapter meetings in person shortly, so make sure you subscribe to our email for future updates.
During the April meeting, one of our members discussed his experience with Hill Day 2022! What a success it was. The Surfrider Foundation brought together members from Surfrider chapters as well as coastal community citizens to meet with our representatives in Congress and the White House. While it was virtual, 155 people across the DMV participated in addition to representatives from 27 states. The representatives were engaged while discussing our Federal priorities from the year including:
- Taking climate action through ocean-based solutions
- Eliminating plastic pollution
- Protecting and improving clean water
Regarding the Ocean Based Climate Solutions Act, four of our representatives had already signed or co-sponsored the Act. Representatives also showed interest interest towards the BEACH Act as well as the Break Free from Plastic Pollution Act.
Interested in becoming more involved in Surfrider DC?
Join our team! We have the following positions open:
- Vice Chair Coordinator
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Fundraising Committee Chair
- Positions within the volunteer committee
- Positions within the clean-up committee
- Positions within the OFR committee
Prepare your calendars! We have quite a few.
- Speaking of OFR's, our team is ecstatic to welcome a new OFR to the roster! Hello Betty in Bethesda, MD is having a VIP party April 21st to celebrate the grand opening! If you're interested in tabling, please contact OFR@dc.surfrider.org for more information.
- Our team is also ecstatic to announce that we are a non-profit partner for Jack Johnson's All At Once Tour! We have once pair (two tickets) to give away! How can you win one? Participate in our events! This includes chapter meetings, cleanups, tabling, etc. The concert is taking place June 24th at Merriweather Post Pavilion. You have until then to rack up some points. Donations towards the DC Chapter are also welcome and another way to enter the give away. We hope to raise $500, as this will be matched by Johnson Ohana Foundation.
- The next cleanup is taking place Saturday, April 16th 11am at Gravelly Point Park. Join us to clean up this family-friendly space. Register here!
- April 22nd is Earth Day! Partake in a solo cleanup and send us photos via Instagram DM @SurfriderDC.
- April 23rd we are participating in a pop-up with Athleta DC. Please contact email@example.com if you're interested in volunteering to table.
- The next chapter meeting is May 4th! Updates to come on if it will be in person or virtual.
- May 15th will be another chapter cleanup in Hanover, MD. Updates to come on gathering place as well as time.
As always, check social media for updates or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.