The Surfrider DC chapter is looking for a Social Media Coordinator. Please find more details about the role and how to apply below. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
About Surfrider Foundation, DC Chapter:
The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit grassroots organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of our world’s oceans, waves and beaches. Founded in 1984 by a handful of visionary surfers in Malibu, California, the Surfrider Foundation now maintains over 50,000 members and 90 chapters worldwide. The DC Chapter represents residents from the greater Washington, DC, area, including western Maryland and Virginia. It naturally draws coastal transplants who have found themselves landlocked, as well as river- and bay-oriented natives. Because of our location amidst lawmakers, the chapter’s efforts include legislative agendas as well as river/bay clean-ups and public education. Most importantly, we realize that despite physically being hours from the nearest beach, our actions locally
can significantly affect the health of the coast, the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers, the Chesapeake Bay, and the rest of the Chesapeake Bay Watershed.
- Job Title: Social Media Coordinator for Surfrider Foundation, DC Chapter
- Compensation: This is an unpaid opportunity.
- Job Length: This job will start July 15, 2020. Please let us know your desired term length. 6 months to a year is preferred, but we understand volunteer positions vary.
- Estimated Hours: 10/week
- Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Manage and develop all social media channels – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Website
- Create social media best practices for the executive team
- Manage success of social media and other campaigns
- Coordinate all executive team communications needs – listing events, writing blogs, creating social media graphics, and more
- Increase awareness for a non-profit organization
- Preferred Qualifications:
- General interest in environmentalism and/or social media
- Experience using social media
- Familiarity or desire to learn wordpress
- Familiarity with intersectional environmentalism and/or equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Willingness to learn
This is a unique opportunity to gain experience running social media and communications for a small, local, non-profit. While prior experience in running social media is a plus, we are really looking for someone who is excited to make a difference in the environmental space and willing to dedicate time to curate our pages with important information.
Women and underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.