Job Title: Policy and Campaigns Coordinator for Surfrider Foundation, DC Chapter
Compensation: This is a volunteer and unpaid opportunity.
Start Date: This job will start in mid March of 2021. Dates are flexible.
About Surfrider Foundation, DC Chapter:The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit grassroots organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of our world’s oceans, waves and beaches. Founded in 1984 by a handful of visionary surfers in Malibu, California, the Surfrider Foundation now maintains over 50,000 members and 90 chapters worldwide. The DC Chapter represents residents from the greater Washington, DC, area, including western Maryland and Virginia. It naturally draws coastal transplants who have found themselves landlocked, as well as river- and bay-oriented natives. Because of our location amidst lawmakers, the chapter’s efforts include legislative agendas as well as river/bay clean-ups and public education. Most importantly, we realize that despite physically being hours from the nearest beach, our actions locally can significantly affect the health of the coast, the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers, the Chesapeake Bay, and the rest of the Chesapeake Bay Watershed.
Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Track and analyze policy in DC, MD, and VA related to: plastics, marine conservation, coastal restoration, climate change, and more
- Write talking points and produce other advocacy materials
- Engage Surfrider DC members in policy through campaigns
- Represent Surfrider DC in legislative meetings
- Engage with local coalitions on policy and advocacy
- Write blogs and action alerts summarizing policy
- Collaborate with Surfrider HQ staff on policy and advocacy
- General interest in environmentalism, policy, and/or campaigns
- Experience in policy and/or campaigns
- Familiarity with intersectional environmentalism and/or equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Willingness to learn and dedicate time to this effort.
This is a unique opportunity to gain experience engaging in policy and campaigns for a small, local, non-profit. While prior experience in policy and campaigns is a plus, we are really looking for someone who is excited to make a difference in the environmental space and willing to dedicate time to advocacy efforts.
Women and underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.