So, what is the Ocean-Based Climate Solutions Act (H.R. 3764)?
The Ocean-Based Climate Solutions Act (OBCSA) seeks to implement a suite of ocean-based climate solutions such as: protecting blue carbon ecosystems like mangroves and salt marshes; expanding marine protected areas and setting a goal to protect 30% of the ocean by 203; supporting climate-ready fisheries by acquiring additional funds and investing in new technology; and tackling ocean-health challenges like harmful algal blooms. This massive bill will provide jobs, protect front-line communities, and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. The ocean is a key player in the fight against climate change – and it’s time the United States leveraged the potential of the ocean to address climate change impacts.
What can you do? Here are three easy ways to support the OBCSA:
- Fill out the Action Alert to send an automatic email to your representatives asking them to support the OBCSA. Simply type in your name, address, and email address to let your representatives know this issue is important to you.
- Call your representative and leave them a short message about why this issue is important to you. Not sure who your representatives are? Follow this link to find out and find their office number.
- Print our letter template and hand write a letter to your representative. Representatives really pay attention to the issues that constituents (that’s you and me!) write to them about. First, find out who your representatives are and their mailing addresses here. Second, print out our letter template and fill in missing information, such as your address, name, and why you think the OBCSA is important. Third, address your envelope, add your signed letter, and drop it in the mail!
Keep it professional with these tips for writing a letter to your representatives:
- Address your letter to “The Honorable,” “Congressman,” or “Congresswomen” followed by their last name.
- Include your address – this allows them to write back to you!
- Choose no more than three reasons why you support the bill and keep your letter of support to about a page.
I wrote to my representatives, now what?
We are launching a social media campaign August 30, and we want your help! Share why the OBCSA is important to you, in either a short video or a few words. Be sure to tag @surfriderdc and your representatives! This works best on Instagram and Twitter, though we recommend making this call to action on any social platform you normally use. Use this sample script:
My name is [your name] and I want you to support the Ocean-Based Climate Solutions Act. We are already seeing the impacts of climate change, from floods to wildfires, and we can’t wait any longer to support such a strong bill. The Act supports ecosystem protection, stimulates the economy through new job opportunities, and promotes coastal resiliency for front-line communities. It’s important to me to support this Act because [list your reasons].
Sample language for Twitter:
We can protect ocean and coastal biodiversity by supporting the Ocean-Based Climate Solutions Act. Are you on board, [your representative’s Twitter handle]? #OceanClimateAction #RisingSeas @SurfriderDC
Support the Ocean-Based Climate Solutions Act, [your representative’s Twitter handle]. Invest in coastal restoration and resilience — it’s a win-win for our economy, our frontline communities and our environment. #OceanClimateAction #RisingSeas @SurfriderDC
The Ocean-Based Climate Solutions Act will help frontline communities most at risk due to #ClimateChange and sea level rise, increase the resilience of ocean ecosystems and reestablish the U.S. as a leader against #RisingSeas. You in, [your representative’s Twitter handle]? #OceanClimateAction @SurfriderDC
For any questions regarding this campaign, please contact Kelly Dobroski at firstname.lastname@example.org or Annarose Kennedy at email@example.com.