- This event has passed.
July 5th Remote Cleanup
July 5, 2020
Join us in our first socially-distant, remote cleanup on July 5th! Members will be able to individually cleanup their neighborhood or street, collect data, and share their results to contribute to our chapter’s goal of clean rivers and healthy beaches. If you are interested in joining, please fill out this form and review the safety, trash, and data collection guidelines. After the cleanup, be sure to share your data and any photos you take!
- If you are feeling sick, do not participate in a solo cleanup and stay home
- Wear a mask throughout your cleanup
- Practice social distancing – stay 6 ft away from other people, and avoid crowded areas and busy times, like morning and evening
- Wear gloves – if they are disposable, be sure to not touch your face and throw away immediately. If they are reusable, be sure to remove after cleanup and wash them.
- Bring hand sanitizer and use after taking off your gloves
- Use a trash picker if possible
- Use caution if picking up broken glass and sharp pieces of metal
- Pay attention to your surroundings, especially if you are picking up trash in the street
TRASH & RECYCLING DISPOSAL
- Bring separate bags for recycling and trash, and bring an extra bag
- Familiarize yourself on what can be recycled in DC or wherever else you are cleaning up
- Bring waste back to your home trash and recycling cans – you may be fined for dumping trash in public waste bins
- Recycling cannot be disposed of in a plastic bag; empty your collection bag of recycling into the recycling bin
- Record the types of trash and amounts in the official Surfrider data card and the supplemental COVID-19 waste data card OR
- Record the types and amount of trash on your phone or piece of paper
- If you can, please weigh your trash at a scale at home (you can weigh yourself holding the trash and subtract your weight)
- After the cleanup, email your data or picture of your data card to email@example.com. Also, let us know about any thoughts you have on causes of litter in your park or neighborhood, and your ideas for solutions or ways Surfrider can get invovled!