Join us and the DC Dragon Boat Club on October 11th for a cleanup along the SW Waterfront!
Meet up at Gangplank Marina (600 Water St SW) at 10am. Bring your board (SUP), boat, or paddle-able flotation device. Volunteers without vessels will join together to paddle 1 of the Club’s dragon boats (holds 22 people! Imagine how much trash we can fit!)
Dress for the weather. Light, non-cotton layers highly recommended! Clean up supplies will be provided.
After the cleanup, we’ll celebrate our hard work at Cantina Marina!
RSVP on Facebook or Meetup! We hope to see you there!
DC chapter members, here’s the deal: we’re not planning a location-specific cleanup this month, but we still want to take part in Surfrider’s RAPtober month of rising above plastics, so we’ve decided to hold a distributed, virtual cleanup! Here’s how we’d like you to help out:
(1) While you’re out on the water, at the beach, or running errands today, pick up at least two pieces of plastic litter to throw away, but don’t throw it out yet!
(2) Take a quick pic of the trash with your mobile device.
(3) Post the photo to either Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #raptober and mention @surfriderdc.
(4) Ok, now throw it out (or recycle, if possible).
At the end of the month, we’ll collect all those images uploaded and create a digital collage of the trash collected. If you don’t have an Instagram or Twitter account and don’t want to set one up, just email your picture to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll make sure it gets into the right hands.
Here’s an example of a chapter member posting their findings to Instagram, with the comment: “I went kayaking on the Anacostia today and picked up all of this just floating by me. Perfect timing for #raptober @surfriderdc”
Have fun with this! It’s virtual…and distributed…and helps clean up your local waters/community!
Hey Surfrider DC! This month Surfrider celebrates RAPtober, a month-long campaign to raise awareness for its Rise Above Plastics program. We wanted to hold a cleanup for RAPtober, but this is difficult to organize given people’s schedules. So, we decided to hold a distributed cleanup! Everyone gets to hold their own mini one-person cleanup whenever and wherever is most convenient! It’s simple! Here’s what you do:
(1) See plastic trash outdoors (It’s everywhere, but keep a look out on your way to work, outside your house, at the park, or whenever you see some trash.)
(2) Before October ends, pick up at least two (2) pieces of plastic trash and take a picture of you holding the items (use a napkin if it’s gross, but don’t pick up dangerous stuff):
(3) Throw the trash out! (or recycle, if appropriate)
(4) Post the picture you took to Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram, and mention Surfrider DC:
Tag the picture with: #RAPtober
Need some help? Here’s an example tweet:
— Surfrider DC Chapter (@SurfriderDC) October 23, 2012
(5) That’s it!
We only have 9 days of October left, so have at it! After October, we’ll collect all these images and put them together into an (hopefully) awesome collage! Take and post one picture, or post tons! We’ll collect everything. Have questions? Email email@example.com.