[Update October 18: this event has been cancelled and will be rescheduled for the spring. We will update you when we hear more details about the rescheduled date.]
Want to enjoy the outdoors this weekend and help clean up Paint Branch stream near College Park, Maryland? Come join a group of Surfrider DC members this Saturday as they volunteer with the Anacostia Watershed Society to clean this beautiful park. They will be discarding any trash-worthy items along the park’s trail systems and the stream itself. Do you have water-proof boots? Bring them and help clean along the stream!
Here’s the details:
What: Paint Branch Community Cleanup
When: Saturday, October 20, 2012, 10:00am – 1:00pm
Where: Meet in College Park, just off of Lakewood Rd. If you are headed south on Rt. 1 from 495, turn left on Lakewood Rd. Please click here for a map of meeting location.
Below are more details from our friends at the Anacostia Watershed Society:
Please plan on arriving by 10:00am to allow ample time to sign in and get settled before the event begins.
A Signed Waiver is Required to Participate:
Please make sure you do one of the following:
1. Sign in on the day of the event (we will have extra copies of the waiver form)
2. Fill out and bring the following waiver to the event: AWS Paint Branch Waiver
What to Expect:
· AWS cleanups generally involve picking up trash and debris within the Anacostia River watershed.
· All of our volunteer events have an educative approach; AWS staff will talk about our watershed and the history and ecology of the area, and will be sure to point out interesting native plants and animals.
· AWS staff will brief everyone about basic safety measures to ensure that everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience!
What to Bring:
· Long pants and closed-toe shoes are required for all events. If you have rain boots or waders, please bring them as we will be walking in the stream as well and have a limited number of boots.
· Please wear clothes that you don’t mind getting dirty.
· Sunscreen, bug spray, and a water bottle.
· All tools and supplies necessary will be provided.
Physical Requirements: This event will involve standing and walking for long periods of time, bending, kneeling, lifting, etc. etc. Please be cautious — if you think any of the above activities will be problematic for you, consider joining us for another event.
Youth: If there are any members of the group who are under 18 years of age, they will need to have their parent or guardian (teacher, adult family member, etc.) stay for the duration of the event. Parents or guardians do not have to participate, but do need to be present.
Restrooms: . . . are not available at this park. We recommend arriving “on empty”.
Carpooling: Please let Heather know ahead of time if you wish to carpool; she is coming from Arlington, and another Surfrider volunteer said that he would be willing to carpool and is coming from the Cleveland Park area of DC. If you would like to carpool with him, please contact Heather to get you in touch with him.
· This event will be held rain or shine!